All wheat production in Idaho is down 15 percent from 2011 to 98.0 million bushels, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service. The winter wheat yield, at 80.0 bushels per acre, is down 2.0 bushels per acre from last year. Winter wheat production totals 59.2 million bushels from 740,000 harvested acres, down 6 percent from last year’s 63.1 million bushels. The 2012 winter wheat production is estimated to be 77 percent white and 23 percent hard red. Spring wheat yield, at 76.0 bushels per acre, is down 8.0 bushels per acre from a year ago. Idaho’s spring wheat production totals 38.0 million bushels from 500,000 harvested acres, down 27 percent from 2011’s 52.1 million bushels. The spring wheat crop is estimated to be 50 percent white and 50 percent hard red. Yield for durum wheat is estimated to be 62.0 bushels per acre, down 7.0 bushels from last year. Durum wheat production in Idaho totals 806,000 bushels from 13,000 harvested acres, up 47,000 bushels from last year.
Nationally, all wheat production totaled 2.27 billion bushels in 2012, up 13 percent from 2011. Grain area totaled 49.0 million acres, up 7 percent from last year. The United States yield is 46.3 bushels per acre, up 2.6 bushels from the previous year and matches the record high from 2010. The levels of production and changes from last year by type are: winter wheat, 1.65 billion bushels, up 10 percent; other spring wheat, 542 million bushels, up 19 percent; and Durum wheat, 82.0 million bushels, up 62 percent.